Sunday, April 29, 2012

The First Deer and Memories of Feona

We have been rather despondent about the lack of deer in the park. About two winters ago, they did legal hunting of deer in our park. It was a state-run thing to cull the herd, the explanation was that the fear of the "wasting" disease that deer are said to carry, and it was "necessary". But the truth of the matter is, they over-hunted. I'm sure of it.

Dennis, my husband, has had many a mornings where he's been in the park early for his job, and claims he has not seen a single deer. And yet I've seen their foot prints on occasion in our yard, as well on certain paths. So, I know there's at least one around.

Then, this morning, Dennis called me away from doing breakfast dishes. There was a deer out in the front yard. We went into my office, and he pulled up the blinds. I said that the bushes in front are probably hiding it, since he said it was a "small" deer.

We remembered the drought year when it was so dry water was scarce and a female deer heard Dennis watering trees, and came walking up to him, tongue lapping as though she were thirsty. She was. She actually approached him for water and drank from the hose. He later put out a large aluminum pan for her to drink from. We were rewarded by the sight of her, and then later her twins! I named her Feona. Feona was a constant visitor to our backyard because it was safe. She allowed her off-spring to prance, eat and enjoy the safe haven of our yard.

We figured that Feona must have gone by way of that hunting program. I wasn't all for it. I thought that it was an excuse for hunters to not just cull the herd but maybe collect trophies.

But here we have a new deer. A very small one, possibly a first year female, from the looks of her. I hope to see her again and figure out a name for her.

2 comments:

  1. Good to hear of your new visitor, hope she returns for many more visits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Debbie! Thanks for stopping by (^;

    ReplyDelete