Sunday, June 9, 2013

June 2013 Afton Forest Preserve - Enjoyable Hikes

I enjoy my prairie walks. Sometimes my husband, Dennis, comes with me on days he is not working out in the park.

The hawks sail high above in the blue sky, while the redwings chase after him or her. But the larger, more powerful wings avail the larger bird of prey the ability to go higher, circle for air currents and just out-fly the smaller birds who give up eventually because they're tired of flapping their wings. And then the hawk is so high up he is but a speck.

Afton Forest Preserve is more than just flowers and trees and water for me. I've always been a nature lover. I've always tried to seek places of solitude, my brain, my soul, my whole being absorbs the sounds of nature, birdsong, and all other sounds, like the bull frogs when they are charming their intendeds, geese doing group fly-by, honking at one another. Of course the flies and other biting things tend to ruin the mood, unless you've sprayed yourself down.

These early June days have been cooler and more tollerable than normal, and have given me a chance to get out in the afternoons to go for my hikes. The trails are many, and cut across four bridges in total of this park. Two in the main area, a third in what we call South Afton, and the fourth is in the section across McGurr Road (also South Afton). If a person wanted to do a 3 hour hike, you certainly could find plenty of trail to do so. There is fishing, (but make sure to bring your fishing licenses).

But I like the main area where there's mature oak, maple and pines. The white pines especially offer their scent and a uniquely different experience when there's a nice breeze. If you go to the far east side, up on the hill there is an area where you can stand and it sounds like rushing water through those trees. The crows might become upset with your presence, but for the most part, it's calm and peaceful up there. I've heard tell someone has spotted turkeys here, but I have not. I've never heard any. Also, a quick note. Curiously, we've lost our phesant too. Someone has been killing them for sport, is my guess. And, while we're on the subject, the deer population has been culled off. We (Dennis and I) were not thrilled to learn that hunters were allowed to come in and kill off deer which they said had "wasting desease". That whole scenario was possibly over-hyped by some, and questionable as to whether this really needed to be done.

Okay, I'm done with my rant.

I have spotted one female deer with her youngster in the park, back last week. I saw her twice, and the fawn once. She quickly got the little guy out of "harms" way. There's no telling where you might spot deer, but definitely the dog leash rule, which is being observed more than not, is helping a great deal. We've gotten rid of one problematic person who brought 6 dogs and did not observe the rules. He's now banned from the park, as far as we know.

I've noticed that they've stopped mowing quite so many trails and stopped making them so wide. This was one request we made, and somehow someone actually listened--even though we made no direct plea about it. It was merely a suggestion. We don't need to drive Mack Trucks through the park, so why make them large enough to do so?

This morning I spoted that someone has come in with horses. These are not allowed. There's a reason for this. We don't want ruts in the trails (and really the horse hocky is large). People who don't understand this want to argue their case, but it is forbidden at Afton--actually I don't know if it is allowed in any DeKalb Co. Park. It's in the rule book.

The lupines are in blossom, right now, south of the large white barn which you can access via the south entrance, or from the trails that join up through the main bottom area of the large parking lot. By following the river, but not going over the bridge, you can access the second prairie planting through the trail that meanders through the trees and comes out and heads west. Then take the next large path south again, and you'll see their purple-blue stalks of flowers. They are in full bloom right now.

From the south entrance you head north, and can view the wetlands, where geese, ducks, and other water fowl tend to congregate. If you are lucky you might spot the quiet, but majestic blue heron, or you might spot the white egrets who come through and do a little fishing along the shores. Once I think I counted 5-6 in one day.

Whatever the reason you like to come out to this or any other park, do enjoy it, and don't abuse the rules. Respect those who want to enjoy a quiet time in the park, hiking, fishing, picnicing, photographing, or birding (birdwatching) and enjoy what it has to offer.

Lorelei Bell celebrating her 5th Anniversary of her book 'Spell of the Black Unicorn' she was our first author signing in 2008.
Lorelei Bell is author of two fantasy series: Sabrina Strong (vampire) series
& Chronicles of Zofia Trickenbod, sorceress, plus short stories.
All available on Amazon, and the Sabrina Strong series also
available @ Barnes and Nobel
She and her husband are park managers of Afton Prairie Preserve

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a beautiful spot. It's been much too long since I've been in the Prairies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is. Even if it is replanted prairie, it's beautiful around June/July when all the major flowers are blossoming.

    ReplyDelete